Tuesday, September 29, 2009

another sucky week in the offing

Our first ultrasound today was another exercise in frustration. We are technically 6 weeks 3 days pregnant (the convention is to count back to the start of your last period). This means that we should be able to see an amniotic sac, yolk sac, tiny embryo (fetal pole), and possibly a heartbeat by now. Well I have all the right sacs, but nothing else. It's too soon to officially throw in the towel, but it's definitely not encouraging. We go back in a week to see whether the embryo catches up in growth or whether it's just a dud.

In the insult-to-injury department, Dr. Snaggletooth advised me that I have a honkin' big hematoma (blood clot) in my uterus. It's even bigger than the amniotic sac itself. So I can expect to keep bleeding.. maybe a lot.. for a while.

So here's my plan for the week:
  • continue to inject progesterone in between the many welts on my ass.

  • bleeding and mildly cramping at all times.

  • wondering where the fuck my crystal ball is. If the embryo is genetically "off" then it was predetermined 4-1/2 weeks ago that the pregnancy would fail. The doctor quipped that we should pray this week. Screw that! The die is cast.. we're all just waiting to see how it plays out.

8 comments:

  1. I've been to this party so many times.

    I know the waiting is agony. Hoping for the very best outcome for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am crossing everything I've got and hoping that this works out for you!! And I am so sorry that you have to endure this horrible limbo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dammit. I'm so sorry. I don't know what to say other than you are in my thoughts and prayers. Please be sure to reach out if you need to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate this part of the waiting. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here from LCFA, I'm so sorry you're having problems with what should be a joyous time. I know some of what your are going through. I was diagnosed with a subchorionic hematoma (blood clot) at 8 weeks pregnant with twins after a HUGE gushing bleed. It has been so nerve wracking...it's hard for me to be positive about my pregnancy. I am now 10 weeks, but still having spotting which has changed to more red again. Ugh. If it's going to end eventually, I just want it to be over now.

    Take care and feel free to stop by my blog to commiserate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here also from Lost and Found Connections.

    My heart goes out to you. It's just an extremely hard place to be in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just checking in on you sweetie. I hope things have calmed down and if not, then please accept some love and hugs from me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you. I don't know if your ultrasound was today or is tomorrow. I'm sending positive energy your way. Hoping and praying that everything is still moving in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete